Second Evening Star

Brief History

      The Second Evening Star Missionary Baptist Church (SESMBC) was organized by Rev. Charles King on land donated by Mrs. Mary Texada. From 1868 to 2009, the SESMBC was led by many men of God, men like:  The Reverends’ Benjamin Howard, Robert Wilson, John Smith, Tom Grimble, Joe Brown, Anderson Norris, Luke Williams and Tom Wheatley.  From 1936 thru December 1974, the late Rev. (Dr.) G. C. Jacob, January 1975 - January 1983, Rev. Ameal Jones, 1983 – 2004 Rev. Lee E. Fields, Rev. Kurt Clark and Rev. Dwight Harris pastured the flock.  

     The Church accomplished many things within, during the tenure of these men of God. Through all the evolving, rebuilding, establishing, constructing, purchasing, implementing and upgrading the church has continued to move forward.  In August 2004, God blessed us with Rev. Phillip Taylor, who with his family are building the people with the Word.  On March 14, 2010, we held our first service in our 150 Cooper Road address.  We have a very rich and proud heritage here, and from every profession throughout the world, they will tell you they have roots from the Bayou. Minister Brandaun Love and his family have joined us on this journey, and now he serves as our Youth Pastor guiding our Youth into their walk with God.

      We continue to make strides in reaching and fulfilling the five purposes of this church established by our Pastor: ~Ministry ~ Fellowship ~ Worship ~ Discipleship ~ and Evangelism.  God has set before us great challenges and opportunities and we look forward to moving on to what God has placed before us. SESMBC will fulfill her purpose for the kingdom and the glory of God.